Skip to main content

Finally Boston again

 My sister has been tormenting me for the last couple of weeks, telling me she was cooking buckwheat. 




The thing is buckwheat is my favorite porridge. In the US, I could only buy it in Russian stores. I know one of them in Boston (there are several stores, but I know just one). And there are a few other products that I would like to buy. Daniel was wondering if I could order some groceries to be delivered.

No way. First of all, I like Boston. Then I want to select my groceries right in the store. And I need to practice my driving, not to Boston though. I drove to the Middleboro/ Lakeville train station.


Daniel and I had already gone to Boston by train once before. 

This time I went by myself, alone. 

This is actually convenient:  I can change my mind and not go anywhere or change the time of leaving home. Of course, there is no one to take a picture of me, but it’s ok. Having a companion doesn’t mean that you get nice photos. 

Anyway, I arrived in Middleboro earlier, paid for parking in the app and on the time I got on a train. 


It's nice to feel like a tourist again. I wasn't even reading the book, I was just looking out the dirty window.  The window view was not exactly pretty: some trees, with and without leaves, train’s fences, small and big businesses, and the police station in Brockton, etc. An hour by train, and I'm in Boston.


Lovely, lovely Boston. A little bit cooler than I expected. I was surprised to see so many homeless people this time. or I have not been to Boston for so long that I don't remember them before. 

But it was interesting to watch Saturday morning in the Brookline neighborhood: people walking their dogs, drinking coffee on the street, waiting in line at the bakeries. 









The store has changed: the interior is different, the assortment has decreased, and service…sellers are more polite now, lol.

I remember when I first went to the store I was shocked. Sellers were almost rude, as if I had returned to the past, to the store of the soviet union.   

My friend (when she lived in Boston) and I shared our experience of shopping there. We both laughed at the remnants of the Soviet Union on the territory of Boston.


But I bought what I wanted, just a few things, but altogether heavy, lol. 

 





My “prey”: buckwheat, salted herring, halva (sweets made from sunflower seeds), caviar, bacon (not sliced but smoked), jelly candies. Everything that I like. Daniel doesn’t eat it, luckily for me.


The weather was not cooperative. Therefore, I was waiting for my train at the South Station. I saw…the Amish people.  I've only seen them on book covers. I couldn't believe that people still wear such clothes. I was too shy to ask them for permission to take a photo. There are no photos. 

The train was boarding passengers on time, and exactly an hour after departure I arrived at Middleborough Railway Station.


Ahead, I had homework, cooking, and shopping at Lowe’s, and we saw a deer on Hawthorn street. 

All in all, I had a nice Saturday! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four days and Three nights of Vacation in Vermont

  I love going on vacation, but I love coming back even more. I'll tell you about the most remarkable activities for me. I will try briefly… We spent one night out of 3 in a tent. (We actually planned to have 2 nights in a tent, but the weather decided for us).  We visited Sugarbush Farm and Billings Farm & Museum, stopped at a store selling sheds and cottages, looked at the cider production process (Woods cider Mill), met with a representative of the company that will drill a well on our site, and asked questions to city officials.  And, of course, we admired the beauty of the season. It’s a pity that we couldn’t stop on the highway for photography.  At this time of the year, tourists travel to Vermont and New Hampshire specifically to admire the foliage. Daniel heard about the town of Woodstock even before the vacation. Therefore, we began to look for sights that can be seen there. As the first attraction, Google gave us The Sugarbush Farm. Google says: “ Rural...

Old New Year

  Do you know what day is today (Jan 13)?  Russians celebrate the Old New Year on the night of January 13-14. How did it happen that Russians celebrate the New Year twice?  Simply by adopting a different calendar. Of course, it was not really simple, but after the October Revolution (1917), the Bolsheviks switched from the Julian calendar to Gregorian one. Because of this, all the dates moved 13 days ahead. The year 1919 began on January 1st but in accordance with the new Gregorian calendar. The Julian calendar was 2 weeks behind the Gregorian one, as a result of which the celebration of the new year was postponed from January 14th to January 1st. The Old New year isn't an official holiday. There are definitely no people who would remember the old calendar. Russians, by definition, like to celebrate holidays. The more reasons to celebrate, the better. The Old New Year is usually less festive. There may be no more gifts under the tree.  Many Russians will wait until t...

From May Snow to Summer Mosquitoes: A Tale of Two Cities

  May 22, and it is snowing in Tomsk. You could say "still" or "again"—both would sound right. And yet, the cool May weather hasn't slowed down the mosquitoes. According to a report by RIA Tomsk, cold weather doesn't kill off the larvae of these blood-sucking insects. The early-spring species have already taken flight "to hunt," and a mass emergence is expected by late May when warmer weather finally arrives. I wish I could say that we don't have mosquito problems here, but we do. I think a lot of it depends on neighbors who keep containers or pools of stagnant water in their backyards, where mosquitoes happily breed and multiply. My husband already got his first bite of the season. Let’s hope for the best this summer. For now, though, Tomichi (Tomsk citizens) aren't too worried about mosquitoes; their real problem, now and always, is ticks. Tomsk had a few warm days earlier this spring, and the ticks became active immediately. Every sprin...