Skip to main content

Working in the library

 Tuesday (Nov, 21) evening, a woman, a regular visitor, called the library. And she said, “Oh, I am glad that it's you!".

The phrase I managed to say into the phone was: “Good evening, Wilks Library.” And the woman recognized me.





Well, of course, you can not hear me or not understand me, but it is impossible not to recognize my accent.😅

Especially since I'm the only one in all of New Bedford libraries. And also for the entire library network (SAILS) of our region, which includes 70 libraries.

To be honest, at such moments I feel in my place. “Such” minutes are when people know that I will make every effort and use all available databases to help them (most often it's ordering books).


Working with books, a love of reading is what many people think about working in a library.

In fact, it is customer service (communicating with visitors, the ability to use a PC, knowing how and where to look for information, which means loving Google, the desire to help, not forgetting to smile and say “ I am sorry” (even if it is not your fault).


And personally, I have always wanted to be able to use the knowledge of my native language in my work. Despite the situation in the world.


And by the way, this summer I had such an opportunity.

The heads of our library network decided to add to the software the option of opening e-cards in different languages. That's how I found out that there is only one Russian employee in our system, and that's me.

It was interesting, sometimes unclear, sometimes needed “the help of a friend" and not only one friend. I finished my part of the work (by the way, it was volunteering), I don't know exactly when all the changes will be applied to SAILS. I hope this option will be really useful.


And now it's raining. Such autumn weather, when you want to light a fireplace, bake a cake and read a book wrapped in a warm blanket.

I'm going to do the laundry, put the house in order and bake Pizzelles (Italian waffles), tomorrow we'll take them to a family Thanksgiving dinner.





Happy Thanksgiving!


Or relaxing days off!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four days and Three nights of Vacation in Vermont

  I love going on vacation, but I love coming back even more. I'll tell you about the most remarkable activities for me. I will try briefly… We spent one night out of 3 in a tent. (We actually planned to have 2 nights in a tent, but the weather decided for us).  We visited Sugarbush Farm and Billings Farm & Museum, stopped at a store selling sheds and cottages, looked at the cider production process (Woods cider Mill), met with a representative of the company that will drill a well on our site, and asked questions to city officials.  And, of course, we admired the beauty of the season. It’s a pity that we couldn’t stop on the highway for photography.  At this time of the year, tourists travel to Vermont and New Hampshire specifically to admire the foliage. Daniel heard about the town of Woodstock even before the vacation. Therefore, we began to look for sights that can be seen there. As the first attraction, Google gave us The Sugarbush Farm. Google says: “ Rural...

Old New Year

  Do you know what day is today (Jan 13)?  Russians celebrate the Old New Year on the night of January 13-14. How did it happen that Russians celebrate the New Year twice?  Simply by adopting a different calendar. Of course, it was not really simple, but after the October Revolution (1917), the Bolsheviks switched from the Julian calendar to Gregorian one. Because of this, all the dates moved 13 days ahead. The year 1919 began on January 1st but in accordance with the new Gregorian calendar. The Julian calendar was 2 weeks behind the Gregorian one, as a result of which the celebration of the new year was postponed from January 14th to January 1st. The Old New year isn't an official holiday. There are definitely no people who would remember the old calendar. Russians, by definition, like to celebrate holidays. The more reasons to celebrate, the better. The Old New Year is usually less festive. There may be no more gifts under the tree.  Many Russians will wait until t...

From May Snow to Summer Mosquitoes: A Tale of Two Cities

  May 22, and it is snowing in Tomsk. You could say "still" or "again"—both would sound right. And yet, the cool May weather hasn't slowed down the mosquitoes. According to a report by RIA Tomsk, cold weather doesn't kill off the larvae of these blood-sucking insects. The early-spring species have already taken flight "to hunt," and a mass emergence is expected by late May when warmer weather finally arrives. I wish I could say that we don't have mosquito problems here, but we do. I think a lot of it depends on neighbors who keep containers or pools of stagnant water in their backyards, where mosquitoes happily breed and multiply. My husband already got his first bite of the season. Let’s hope for the best this summer. For now, though, Tomichi (Tomsk citizens) aren't too worried about mosquitoes; their real problem, now and always, is ticks. Tomsk had a few warm days earlier this spring, and the ticks became active immediately. Every sprin...