Skip to main content

November 30, 2023

 November 30th, the last  day of autumn, my friend’s birthday and 645th day of war. 


Every morning I watch news on YouTube, and learn the exact # of the days of the war. YouTube channels and bloggers  (the ones that are not shown on the government tv) provide lots of info. 

Today I learned of the explosion on BAM (the Baikal-Amur Mainline (BAM).


Train, probably in Kazan. I didn't have another picture, LOL. 




In Buryatia, a train carriage caught fire during movement in the tunnel, this is reported by the railway transport news portal Railway Supply, citing the Transport Bulletin.

As reported by Censor.NET (website I found online),  SBU operatives were responsible for an explosion. 

The tunnel where it happened was 15 km long, the longest between the others in BAM.

 But what is BAM anyway?


The Baikal–Amur Mainline ( Байкало-Амурская магистраль, БАМ, Baikalo-Amurskaya magistral', BAM) is a railway line in Russia that traversing Eastern Siberia and the Russian Far East, the 4,324 km (2,687 mi)-long BAM runs about 610 to 770 km (380 to 480 miles) north of and parallel to the Trans-Siberian Railway.


The Soviet Union built the BAM as a strategic alternative route to the Trans–Siberian Railway, seen as vulnerable especially along the sections close to the border with China. The BAM's costs were estimated at $14 billion, and it was built with special, durable tracks since much of it ran over permafrost. 

There are 21 tunnels along the line, with a total length of 47 km (29 mi). 

These are among the longest tunnels in Russia.

There are also more than 4,200 bridges, with a total length of over 400 kilometers (250 mi).


The good article about it there

https://www.midnight-trains.com/post/the-baikal-amur-mainline-a-railway-made-in-the-gulag


While I was writing this post, there was a second explosion on BAM.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/9759813/second-ukraine-bomb-putin-railway-north-korea/




Interestingly, the Internet information about BAM is slightly different in different sources. Unfortunately, I don't have time to double-check everything, I mean the length of all bridges and tunnels. If I don’t publish this post today, I wouldn’t do it at all. The blog and my mood about the blog will be outdated. 


Resources:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four days and Three nights of Vacation in Vermont

  I love going on vacation, but I love coming back even more. I'll tell you about the most remarkable activities for me. I will try briefly… We spent one night out of 3 in a tent. (We actually planned to have 2 nights in a tent, but the weather decided for us).  We visited Sugarbush Farm and Billings Farm & Museum, stopped at a store selling sheds and cottages, looked at the cider production process (Woods cider Mill), met with a representative of the company that will drill a well on our site, and asked questions to city officials.  And, of course, we admired the beauty of the season. It’s a pity that we couldn’t stop on the highway for photography.  At this time of the year, tourists travel to Vermont and New Hampshire specifically to admire the foliage. Daniel heard about the town of Woodstock even before the vacation. Therefore, we began to look for sights that can be seen there. As the first attraction, Google gave us The Sugarbush Farm. Google says: “ Rural...

Old New Year

  Do you know what day is today (Jan 13)?  Russians celebrate the Old New Year on the night of January 13-14. How did it happen that Russians celebrate the New Year twice?  Simply by adopting a different calendar. Of course, it was not really simple, but after the October Revolution (1917), the Bolsheviks switched from the Julian calendar to Gregorian one. Because of this, all the dates moved 13 days ahead. The year 1919 began on January 1st but in accordance with the new Gregorian calendar. The Julian calendar was 2 weeks behind the Gregorian one, as a result of which the celebration of the new year was postponed from January 14th to January 1st. The Old New year isn't an official holiday. There are definitely no people who would remember the old calendar. Russians, by definition, like to celebrate holidays. The more reasons to celebrate, the better. The Old New Year is usually less festive. There may be no more gifts under the tree.  Many Russians will wait until t...

From May Snow to Summer Mosquitoes: A Tale of Two Cities

  May 22, and it is snowing in Tomsk. You could say "still" or "again"—both would sound right. And yet, the cool May weather hasn't slowed down the mosquitoes. According to a report by RIA Tomsk, cold weather doesn't kill off the larvae of these blood-sucking insects. The early-spring species have already taken flight "to hunt," and a mass emergence is expected by late May when warmer weather finally arrives. I wish I could say that we don't have mosquito problems here, but we do. I think a lot of it depends on neighbors who keep containers or pools of stagnant water in their backyards, where mosquitoes happily breed and multiply. My husband already got his first bite of the season. Let’s hope for the best this summer. For now, though, Tomichi (Tomsk citizens) aren't too worried about mosquitoes; their real problem, now and always, is ticks. Tomsk had a few warm days earlier this spring, and the ticks became active immediately. Every sprin...