Skip to main content

November, counselor, and bats in the belfry.

 


On November 14th I had the third and last meeting with my counselor.


I started this post after my first meeting with her, but I have never published it… not enough time to write and polish the post. 

The meeting was possible thanks to my employer. Unfortunately I got to understand about this benefit late. But it’s better late than never. 





Honestly, I still don't understand the difference between counselors, psychologists, and therapists. 

Katie called herself a counselor. So, the counselor she was.


The theme of the session was the fear of driving. Did you know this fact about me?


I truly believe that people should learn to drive as early as possible (16-18 yo). I had to learn it in my 40s. I did well, got my license, and a few months later got in a car accident. 


Here I picture Macaulay Calkin in the movie “Home alone”: “It bothered me for years” 😁 (The accident)


Yes, I have been driving all these (8) years but it was not pleasant. 


I actually like to drive. I like the fact that I can bring myself from point A to point B on my own, not asking my husband or friends. And living in the small city you just have to drive in order to get a good job. 

I thought that unpleasant feelings will disappear with time. But it didn’t happen. 

I started looking for information about what to do.. I read books, I talked to my husband, I made my car my comfort zone, I kept driving on my own and with Crackle. (I am not sure that driving with Crackle can be called comfort 😁).





I figured out that the problem was in my head, and I needed help, professional help. 

It was my colleague who mentioned this benefit program (from the employer). She didn’t use it though. 

But I decided to give it a try. I am glad I did.


According to my counselor the accident went unprocessed and I got a conclusion that I was a bad driver. In fact, I was an inexperienced driver.  She gave me other examples of how I should interpret my actions in a positive way.

Of course it takes time to clear your brain from negative thoughts but you’ve got to make a start to get started. 

We spoke 3 times (what I was eligible for). 

Honestly, I don't know how I feel now. 

I still get a little bit nervous when I drive to unfamiliar places. I would still look up my directions online. I also use Google maps on my phone even while driving to work. The City does a lot of construction work on the streets, you never know which street will be blocked. 

I think it all helps.


Katie said that I worry about things that might never happen, and I need to stop thinking about them, just drive. 😅

So, I try not to worry. 


Well, I wanted to confess about the weak side of my personality.

I am not a Wonder woman and superhero, unfortunately, and I have my own bats in the belfry.


Feel free to share about your headlock, if you have one, 😅



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four days and Three nights of Vacation in Vermont

  I love going on vacation, but I love coming back even more. I'll tell you about the most remarkable activities for me. I will try briefly… We spent one night out of 3 in a tent. (We actually planned to have 2 nights in a tent, but the weather decided for us).  We visited Sugarbush Farm and Billings Farm & Museum, stopped at a store selling sheds and cottages, looked at the cider production process (Woods cider Mill), met with a representative of the company that will drill a well on our site, and asked questions to city officials.  And, of course, we admired the beauty of the season. It’s a pity that we couldn’t stop on the highway for photography.  At this time of the year, tourists travel to Vermont and New Hampshire specifically to admire the foliage. Daniel heard about the town of Woodstock even before the vacation. Therefore, we began to look for sights that can be seen there. As the first attraction, Google gave us The Sugarbush Farm. Google says: “ Rural...

Old New Year

  Do you know what day is today (Jan 13)?  Russians celebrate the Old New Year on the night of January 13-14. How did it happen that Russians celebrate the New Year twice?  Simply by adopting a different calendar. Of course, it was not really simple, but after the October Revolution (1917), the Bolsheviks switched from the Julian calendar to Gregorian one. Because of this, all the dates moved 13 days ahead. The year 1919 began on January 1st but in accordance with the new Gregorian calendar. The Julian calendar was 2 weeks behind the Gregorian one, as a result of which the celebration of the new year was postponed from January 14th to January 1st. The Old New year isn't an official holiday. There are definitely no people who would remember the old calendar. Russians, by definition, like to celebrate holidays. The more reasons to celebrate, the better. The Old New Year is usually less festive. There may be no more gifts under the tree.  Many Russians will wait until t...

From May Snow to Summer Mosquitoes: A Tale of Two Cities

  May 22, and it is snowing in Tomsk. You could say "still" or "again"—both would sound right. And yet, the cool May weather hasn't slowed down the mosquitoes. According to a report by RIA Tomsk, cold weather doesn't kill off the larvae of these blood-sucking insects. The early-spring species have already taken flight "to hunt," and a mass emergence is expected by late May when warmer weather finally arrives. I wish I could say that we don't have mosquito problems here, but we do. I think a lot of it depends on neighbors who keep containers or pools of stagnant water in their backyards, where mosquitoes happily breed and multiply. My husband already got his first bite of the season. Let’s hope for the best this summer. For now, though, Tomichi (Tomsk citizens) aren't too worried about mosquitoes; their real problem, now and always, is ticks. Tomsk had a few warm days earlier this spring, and the ticks became active immediately. Every sprin...