Skip to main content

Where Did All My Free Time Go?

 I don’t know what happened to all my free time.




A couple of months ago, I thought I was doing just fine. I was managing work, school, house chores, the dog, and even a little bit of knitting. Somehow, I was keeping everything under control.

Now it’s August, and I feel like a big mess.

I blame the news.

Nothing good in the news lately. Smart people say, “Don’t stress about things you cannot control.” But for me, it’s not the lack of control that stresses me. It’s the “worrying” about things that stresses me.

And there is plenty to worry about. 

Russia is getting ready for the election, if you can call the process of facilitating the election. Putin suddenly started traveling around the country, heading mostly toward the eastern part of the country farther away from Moscow and the danger. Apparently, he is trying to communicate that everything is fine and that he is still the president of this wonderful country.

On Tuesday, he visited the “Microfocus” research station. The station was developed by Tomsk Polytechnic University (TPU) and is located in Koltsovo, in the Novosibirsk Region.

And, of course, when Vladimir Putin arrived in Novosibirsk, the city was ready to meet a distinguished guest overnight. 

In the center of the city, they were hastily repaving sidewalks, laying grass, and repairing building facades. Residents were reportedly asked to stay indoors and away from windows. Before the visit, the city was rushed into repairs.

I couldn’t help wondering: Who should come to our city so that our roads will be repaired? 

Novosibirsk is a big city, 3 hours and 48 minutes (266 km) from Tomsk. It was founded in 1893 as a bridge-builders’ settlement for the Trans-Siberian Railway. Engineers chose this strategic location on the Ob River over neighboring Kolyvan, transforming the site into a massive transportation hub that eventually became the administrative center and “capital” of Siberia in the early 1920s.

At the same time, independent journalists are reporting about new drafting after the election, drone attacks in different parts of Russian territory, and problems with gasoline.By the way, my friend from Gelendzhik confirmed that at night they hear sirens and sometimes there is no gasoline at the stations.

…and after the election… Many years ago, in a different life I voted for the party called Яблоко (Yabloko).

Now The Supreme Court decided to cancel the registration of the Yabloko party for the State Duma elections. Yabloko is probably the only party openly associated with anti-war positions.

Yabloko has been accused of various things, including calls for extremism, supporting the LGBT community, and receiving foreign funding. Citizens went out to protest, but there seems to be very little they can do. Putin’s government will not allow one non-military, opposition-minded party to participate in the election.

And I find that very depressing.

Going back to my free time—or the lack of it—you know I am at school.

It’s not even anything big. It’s just a local community college, just an associate degree, and just two classes most semesters. Sometimes three.

And yet, somehow, it takes a lot out of me.

We don’t have a dog anymore. That was a very hard but necessary decision. You would think that without a dog, I would suddenly have hours of free time every day.

Nope.

I do have three ongoing knitting projects. Yes, three. I know that probably doesn’t help my situation, but I’m trying to convince myself that knitting counts as relaxation. During my first three semesters, I managed to knit, so I’m not sure what happened to that free time now.

We also have our gardens and a piece of land in Vermont where we go periodically. There is always something to do there.

And I spend an awful lot of time reading and finding articles for my discussion boards, writing posts, and responding to my schoolmates. Apparently, getting an associate degree means not only studying but also constantly writing about what you have studied.

I also have a sort of new volunteer job.

I help two young women practice speaking Russian. I wouldn’t really call it teaching because I’m not a teacher, and they have completely different goals and different levels of knowledge. Still, it takes some time.


So, when I look at my life on paper, I can actually see where my free time goes. But does it help? I need to fit in my own language practice—English and Portuguese—as well.

And, unfortunately, there is also the worrying about the news.

Maybe the problem isn’t that I have no free time.

Maybe I just have too many things I care


Resources:

https://www.riatomsk.ru/article/20260811/megasains-uskoritel-skif-tpu




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four days and Three nights of Vacation in Vermont

  I love going on vacation, but I love coming back even more. I'll tell you about the most remarkable activities for me. I will try briefly… We spent one night out of 3 in a tent. (We actually planned to have 2 nights in a tent, but the weather decided for us).  We visited Sugarbush Farm and Billings Farm & Museum, stopped at a store selling sheds and cottages, looked at the cider production process (Woods cider Mill), met with a representative of the company that will drill a well on our site, and asked questions to city officials.  And, of course, we admired the beauty of the season. It’s a pity that we couldn’t stop on the highway for photography.  At this time of the year, tourists travel to Vermont and New Hampshire specifically to admire the foliage. Daniel heard about the town of Woodstock even before the vacation. Therefore, we began to look for sights that can be seen there. As the first attraction, Google gave us The Sugarbush Farm. Google says: “ Rural...

Old New Year

  Do you know what day is today (Jan 13)?  Russians celebrate the Old New Year on the night of January 13-14. How did it happen that Russians celebrate the New Year twice?  Simply by adopting a different calendar. Of course, it was not really simple, but after the October Revolution (1917), the Bolsheviks switched from the Julian calendar to Gregorian one. Because of this, all the dates moved 13 days ahead. The year 1919 began on January 1st but in accordance with the new Gregorian calendar. The Julian calendar was 2 weeks behind the Gregorian one, as a result of which the celebration of the new year was postponed from January 14th to January 1st. The Old New year isn't an official holiday. There are definitely no people who would remember the old calendar. Russians, by definition, like to celebrate holidays. The more reasons to celebrate, the better. The Old New Year is usually less festive. There may be no more gifts under the tree.  Many Russians will wait until t...

Where Are You From? A Question I Know Well

  If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me, “Where are you from?” — well, I could probably buy a nice little shelf of new books for the library. But time changed, and I changed with it. Before, I would’ve answered right away. Now, I’m more cautious — sometimes even a bit playful — and ask back, “Why?”. Recently, a gentleman on the phone told me that his question (about the accent) was a compliment. “Oh, well… I’m from Russia,” I said. But in my head I thought, Come on, dude, from what planet are you? I’ve been living in the New Bedford area for almost 12 years. I’ve been working at the library for nearly 10 years. And you’ve never heard of the Russian librarian? (Well, technically I am not a real librarian, just a library assistant, but a good one). Don’t get me wrong. There are plenty of Russians here. All are good people with families, friends, and jobs. But somehow it feels like I’m the one who’s most “publicly present.”  Working at the library, I meet so many pe...