Skip to main content

A Simple Life

 

Today I heard from my half sister. Did you know I have two half sisters and one whole sister? Lol.

Olya just turned 61, and I, not being a very good sister, forgot to say happy birthday. Well, we didn't communicate for a large part of our lives. We lived not too far from each other, but she lived in a closed city where I couldn't go without a special invitation. We didn't have a phone at home, so contact was very limited. Then we started getting together, first to visit our common father's grave, and later just to meet and talk. That was right before I relocated to the US. Have you ever noticed that the further away you are, the closer you become?

So, I sent her my late happy birthday wishes, and she sent a few messages back. She said she was tired from working at her dacha. Do you know what a dacha is? My husband does. It's a summer cottage with a garden, and not a small one. So Olya was tired from growing vegetables and berries and preserving them. Other than that, she is fine. Her kids are working. Her grandchildren go to school. She goes to the dacha.

And here I am. I have a job, and I have school. I have to speak English to communicate. My husband and I are developing land. Have you ever developed land or built a house? It's too much of everything: thinking, discussing, negotiating, driving, checking, planning, and so on.

...We went for a walk. Daniel and I spent the whole day on our land, which I call our cliff, and I am right to call it that. Before calling it a day, we took a walk. As usual, Daniel talked about which trees need to be taken down next year so we can get electricity. I heard him but didn't listen. I was thinking about Olya and me. Why don't I have a simple life like hers? Why do I need all these complications? What if I lived in Russia again? Well, maybe not. I don't have a house in Russia to live in. Can I have a simple life here in the US?

I don't know.

We returned to the motel. The room is tiny. My neck is sore, maybe because of the bed. My homework is partly done. My husband is sleeping. I am pouring my thoughts out of my head.

I hope my neck will be all right tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four days and Three nights of Vacation in Vermont

  I love going on vacation, but I love coming back even more. I'll tell you about the most remarkable activities for me. I will try briefly… We spent one night out of 3 in a tent. (We actually planned to have 2 nights in a tent, but the weather decided for us).  We visited Sugarbush Farm and Billings Farm & Museum, stopped at a store selling sheds and cottages, looked at the cider production process (Woods cider Mill), met with a representative of the company that will drill a well on our site, and asked questions to city officials.  And, of course, we admired the beauty of the season. It’s a pity that we couldn’t stop on the highway for photography.  At this time of the year, tourists travel to Vermont and New Hampshire specifically to admire the foliage. Daniel heard about the town of Woodstock even before the vacation. Therefore, we began to look for sights that can be seen there. As the first attraction, Google gave us The Sugarbush Farm. Google says: “ Rural...

Old New Year

  Do you know what day is today (Jan 13)?  Russians celebrate the Old New Year on the night of January 13-14. How did it happen that Russians celebrate the New Year twice?  Simply by adopting a different calendar. Of course, it was not really simple, but after the October Revolution (1917), the Bolsheviks switched from the Julian calendar to Gregorian one. Because of this, all the dates moved 13 days ahead. The year 1919 began on January 1st but in accordance with the new Gregorian calendar. The Julian calendar was 2 weeks behind the Gregorian one, as a result of which the celebration of the new year was postponed from January 14th to January 1st. The Old New year isn't an official holiday. There are definitely no people who would remember the old calendar. Russians, by definition, like to celebrate holidays. The more reasons to celebrate, the better. The Old New Year is usually less festive. There may be no more gifts under the tree.  Many Russians will wait until t...

Where Are You From? A Question I Know Well

  If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me, “Where are you from?” — well, I could probably buy a nice little shelf of new books for the library. But time changed, and I changed with it. Before, I would’ve answered right away. Now, I’m more cautious — sometimes even a bit playful — and ask back, “Why?”. Recently, a gentleman on the phone told me that his question (about the accent) was a compliment. “Oh, well… I’m from Russia,” I said. But in my head I thought, Come on, dude, from what planet are you? I’ve been living in the New Bedford area for almost 12 years. I’ve been working at the library for nearly 10 years. And you’ve never heard of the Russian librarian? (Well, technically I am not a real librarian, just a library assistant, but a good one). Don’t get me wrong. There are plenty of Russians here. All are good people with families, friends, and jobs. But somehow it feels like I’m the one who’s most “publicly present.”  Working at the library, I meet so many pe...